Browse Categories
Shopping Cart
Your cart is empty.




IRP & IFTA (Apportioned Plates & Fuel License)
IRP -International Registration Plan is the registration required for vehicles over 26,000 pounds that cross state lines. Also known as Apportioned Plates and Prorate Account. IFTA is the fuel tax decals and license for the same vehicles.
: $498.00

Detailed Description

What is IRP and IFTA?
The International Registration Plan (IRP) and International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) are cooperative programs to collect and distribute registration and fuel tax revenue between member states and Canadian provinces.  The programs benefit carriers by consolidating licensing and reporting requirements through the base (home) state.
Who is required to have IRP and IFTA?
An IRP and IFTA account is required for companies that have vehicles crossing state lines that are over 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight or have 3 or more axles on the power unit.
What will I receive once I have the IRP and IFTA accounts set up?
For IRP you will receive your Apportioned License Plate for your power unit and an Apportioned Cab Card that lists the states/provinces you have registered your vehicle to operate in.  For IFTA, you will receive a set of decals (stickers) for you power unit and an IFTA license to be kept in the cab.
Why should I let Interstate Authority setup my IRP and IFTA accounts?
IRP and IFTA applications can be very confusing, complicated, and time consuming if you have never completed one before.  We setup hundreds of accounts every year, so you know your application will be completed properly and will not be rejected due to common application errors.  Since we do these every day, we know exactly what supporting documents each individual state requires for a new account and we always complete a preliminary audit of your application to ensure the state will have sufficient supporting documentation to setup your account.
What if I already have apportioned plates and only need IFTA?
If you already have an IRP account (apportioned plates) and only need to setup IFTA, click here.
How does the process work if Interstate Authority handles the IRP and IFTA setup?
Once we receive your order, we will determine what supporting documents the state will require to be submitted with your application.  You will receive an email from our IRP/IFTA department requesting these documents.  The request will be for a copy of your title, copy of insurance, and a phone bill or utility bill to prove residence in the state.  There may be other documents we will need depending on your vehicle type, so please refer to the email you receive for the complete list.  If there is a document on the list that you do not have, please contact us.  We can usually figure out a solution that will satisfy the state's requirements.
Once we have the supporting documents, we will submit the applications to your state for processing.  Generally the state will take 3-5 days to workup the invoice for your Apportioned Plates and another 3-5 days to send out your IFTA decals and license.  Once the invoice is issued for your account, your plates are ready.  You can either pay the registration invoice at your state IRP department and pick up you plates, or mail in a cashier's check or money order to your state IRP department and they will send your plates by mail.  Depending on your state's policies, you may also be able to pick up your IFTA decals at the same time your pick up you plates.
How much will my registration fees be?
The state's registration fee for your apportioned plate will vary depending on your base state, gross vehicle weight, and states you wish to register.  Typically the state fees for an 80,000 pound vehicle running all 48 lower states is between $1500 and $2000, but this could vary depending on you base state.
The initial IFTA decal fee in covered in every package.  For IFTA, you will need to keep track of the mileage traveled in each state and the fuel purchased in each state.  You will receive an IFTA quarterly report from your state each quarter to determine if you owe fuel taxes or if you get a fuel tax refund. 
If you purchase most of your fuel in a state that has low fuel taxes and run most of your miles in states that have higher fuel taxes, you will owe taxes to those states with the higher fuel tax rates.  If you purchase most of your fuel in a state with a high fuel tax rate and run most of your miles in states that have a lower fuel tax rate, those state will owe you a refund.  For a list of current fuel tax rates by state, click here.
Okay, I ready to proceed with the IRP and IFTA registration, now what?
Simply fill out the required information below and click Add to Cart to add the filings to your Service Cart.  If these are the only services you need at this time, just click the Checkout Now button to complete the registration process.

Start Registration

* denotes required field

Company Legal Name (and DBA if you have one)*
Company Official's Full Name*
Number of Vehicles Requiring Registration (If you have more than 10 vehicles, contact us for the total fees)*

Related Registrations / Filings

KYU Number
: $75.00
KYU Number
Kentucky Weight Distance number (KYU) is required for any carrier over 59,999 pounds traveling in Kentucky